Sunday, June 18, 2006

Kolkata Comes Alive at Night

About 5:30 I decided to go back out into the streets to take some more photos under the evening light. Much to my surprise the streets had come alive with people. People swarming around the street vendors looking for deals, rushing through the streets like water through a stream. And like always, people from all classes were here, together.

Click photos to enlarge.




Motorcycles are a major form of transportation.




Middle class shoppers browsing the open-air markets.



Kolkata comes alive...




A crowd of young people stand outside the Citi Mart watching the World Cup.




Motorized Rickshaws race through the narrow streets.




The International Piggery sells fresh meat... in 95°F heat.



The "market" was closed today but some vendors were hanging out.




Walking through the dark alleys of the market was like a living Eraserhead experience.






The bicycle rickshaw...



Making suger cane into juice.




Buyers and sellers coming together over mostly western items.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's up with the two dudes and the bot to the right of the bicycle rickshaw driver?

kt said...

This guy had some kind of contraption that looked like a robot that had headphones plugged into it. I think it was just some sort of music playing device or something.

Anonymous said...

Ken,
Angie and Bob passed on your blog to me. I am enjoying reading about your experiences, thanks for sharing. I hope all is well. Miss geek talking with you.

kt said...

Jen,
I am glad you are enjoying my vision of India. I am sure we will see each other again soon.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I have enjoyed reading your blogs over the past few weeks. What an experience that many of us will never have. I am sure your vision of the world we live in has changed immensly. See you next week.

Lisa Nordeen

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

It is really touching reading your blog. It bought tears into my eyes. It gives very good overall picture of kolkata infact India. And it is city of Soccor. Can you tell us how the soccor fever talking on the city?

Usha

Jeff said...

*tap* *tap*

Is this thing on?

Anonymous said...

Hello??