Saturday, June 03, 2006

Travel "Day" - 2nd Stop, London

The flight to London was as good as a 7 hour flight can be. The "club" section of the plane (British Airways' business class) was 1000% better than coach. A seat that reclines flat with a foot rest big enough for your feet... A semi-private space - at least compared to coach... No touching of elbows or knees... Not close enough for obligatory conversation.

Despite the comforts, I didn't sleep much. I'll pay for it today, tomorrow and the next day.

Just as when I traveled to Geneva last year I was struck by the racial and ethnic mix that travel internationally. As soon as I boarded I noticed my status as the "majority race" was not so secure. Even in the "club" section (more expensive) Caucasians made up only 50% of the population at most - a big difference from the hometown demographics. I think this just reflects more of the world population. We Americans live in kind of a North American "bubble" that just doesn't mirror the reality of the rest of the world. The question is, how long can we stay in our bubble?

Okay... Enough of that for now...

Here in London it looks like they board and de-board most flights via steps and buses (no door-to-door delivery). It takes a little longer but I'm not in a hurry.

The weather is beautiful outside but it is hotter than hell in this airport!

I strolled around the terminal for a while... They have LOTS of shops in the terminal - basically a mini mall. I had a Chai Latte from "Starbux" (a toast to Greg - not because he drinks it but because we like to go to "Starbux" together). £2.45. I am not positive of the exchange rate but I am guessing that was about $5!

Now I am camping in the BA Lounge... It is nicer than the one in Chicago but basically the same thing. MUCH better than sitting around in terminal seating. Now I wait for the final leg of this trip to begin where I will really feel a shift in the demographics.

No comments: